Youth Engagement in HF4Y Programs During COVID-19 - MtS DEMS HF4Y CoP Call - June 2020
How are HF4Y programs continuing to engage youth as restrictions around COVID-19 start to change?
- Intaking with a required quarantining period can be challenging as it then becomes difficult to start relationships with youth when you’re enforcing a difficult rule right off the bat; Need to consider the impact of restrictions around COVID-19 as they change, though safety planning remains important
- Some youth can only be engaged in person/face-to-face, so some sites have been doing socially distant walks, home visits on lawns, or socially distant meetings at drop-ins/shelters
- What sites are doing to support youth engagement:
- Peer supporter might start to lead recreational/social groups
- One site put a safety injection tent on their parking lot
- If youth aren’t engaging even when they’re offered technology to support their engagement, dropping off a letter (in whatever way a young person might receive it) phrased around graduating from the program can be impactful